WNYLRC supports a wide range of advocacy and awareness activities. They include increasing awareness of library funding at the state level, promoting the value of libraries, promoting librarianship as a profession and librarians as experts, and elevating the roles of all people working in libraries in the Western New York region.
- Planning and holding events to raise awareness of all types of libraries and their funding issues.
- Encouraging and increasing member participation in local and statewide advocacy efforts such as local legislative visits and communication campaigns as well as NYLA Library Advocacy Day, being held this year on Wednesday, February 7, 2024.
- check the NYLA Advocacy Meeting Schedule to see when we are meeting with WNY legislators!
- Connecting libraries and library systems with existing professional groups and programming that can help promote the value and relevance of libraries.
- Articulating the relevance of libraries to funders, policy makers, media, and other outside organizations.
- Encouraging and supporting libraries and library systems to be reflective of and relevant to the communities they serve.
- Supporting the work of the Library Education, Advancement and Partnerships (LEAP) Committee, and other WNYLRC committees where relevant.