The Western New York Library Resources Council (WNYLRC) is a not-for-profit consortium of all types of libraries and library systems serving six counties: Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Niagara, and Orleans. The Council was chartered by the New York State Board of Regents in 1966.
WNYLRC is one of the nine regional 3Rs (Reference, Research, Resources) councils, which together make up the Empire State Library Network (ESLN). The 3Rs councils including WNYLRC were formed to promote resource sharing among diverse types of libraries and library systems (academic, public, school, special, hospital, and other repositories. See Governance for more information.
The current service model, developed in 2011, allows WNYLRC to be open to to change letting WNYLRC stay ahead of technological advancements. WNYLRC encourages experimentation both within WNYLRC’s office and in partnership with our members. Therefore, the continuing incubator service model of questioning existing practices and testing new ideas allows WNYLRC to:
- Operate on the premise of specific principles that consider the end users and the library community as beneficiaries of its actions rather than relying on a mission statement that specifies current services and has the potential to become outdated.
- Provide seed money when available for new initiatives and avoid supporting in perpetuity programs and services that are core to library services and should be supported by member libraries themselves.
- Remain nimble, adaptable, and proactive, and therefore better able to support its members.
- Assess and evaluate the rapid change in the library industry and position WNYLRC to both lead and assist its members in meeting the challenges and opportunities that are the consequence of change.
WNYLRC Purpose Statement
WNYLRC is a member-driven organization that helps libraries build connections with each other, library users, and the larger community.
WNYLRC Principles - 2021 Updated
- WNYLRC facilitates collaboration
- WNYLRC embraces experimentation
- WNYLRC cultivates learning
- WNYLRC advocates for libraries
- WNYLRC builds community
- Annual Report to Members (2021/2022)
- Annual State Report (2021/2022)
- By-laws of the Members
- WNYLRC Speak: A Glossary of Terms & Jargon
- Strategic Plan of Service
WNYLRC Office and Training Center
The WNYLRC office is located at 4950 Genesee Street, Suite 170 in Cheektowaga, NY 14225. The space contains a board room and training center that is often used to host workshops. This space can accommodate hybrid meetings and presentations.
If you are interested in reserving the training center for a meeting, workshop, or presentation, visit this page.