Job Opening - Circulation Clerk
Full-time: 40 hr/week position
Rate: $13.75/hr plus benefits including Health Insurance, Retirement, Paid Sick and Vacation Time
Hours: Will include regular evenings and weekends
Performs responsible and varied clerical library services in the circulation of books, periodicals, materials, equipment, and related collection items; performs clerical-administrative work; assists patrons in using library services and facilities; and maintains circulation statistics.
- Receives oral or written instructions from Director.
- Plans work according to established procedures.
- Prioritizes tasks within work assignment.
- Allocates work to pages and volunteers.
- Maintains patron records, patron billing and charges, and circulation statistics.
- Greets visitors to library.
- Assists library patrons in use of materials including copier and fax machine.
- Responds to requests for information and assistance, or refers inquiries to a professional librarian.
- Charges and discharges library books, materials, and equipment.
- Inspects returned books, materials and equipment for damage.
- Follows routines in receiving compensation for overdue, damaged or lost library items.
- Sorts and shelves books and periodicals.
- Assists persons in applying for library membership.
- Processes membership applications.
- Enters and retrieves member and circulation information by computer terminal in a computerized circulation system.
- Supervises patron computer stations and assists with basic questions.
- Prepares statistical reports as needed.
- Reports work accomplished to supervisor.
- Monitors reading rooms and areas to assure adequate reading environment.
- Receives and responds to general information requests by telephone or in writing.
- Reserves books and materials.
- Prepares books and materials, and repairs minor damage to books, materials and equipment.
- Maintains community announcement board, and distributable pamphlets and materials.
- Performs special duties as assigned, including programming, basic reference, ordering of materials, serials maintenance, etc.
- Regularly sanitizes patron and staff areas including computers and chairs.
- Relieves other employees as assigned by the Director
- Performs related tasks as assigned.
Receives general supervision from Director and task direction from Administrative Librarian.
- The skills and knowledge required would generally be acquired with a high school education and two years library assistant experience in an educational institution or a public library, or any equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Ability to apply principles of library technical system to solve practical problems and to respond to routine information requests.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or schedule form.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide all units of measure.
- Ability to acquire a working knowledge of regulations and procedures pertaining to library responsibilities.
- Ability to type accurately.
- Ability to acquire skill to operate data and word processing equipment.
- Ability to maintain accurate files and records.
- Ability to deal cooperatively with others.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.