Job Location:Niagara Falls, NY
Salary Range or Hourly Rate:$30/hr
The Niagara Falls Public Library is seeking a qualified candidate for the available position of Contract Archivist. Beginning in the Fall of 2019, plans were made to undertake a comprehensive and grant-funded inventory of the Local History collection. With nearly 125,000 records generated by September 2022, we began cataloging the records, launching our first publicly accessible catalog of local history items in January 2023. Further grant funding, generously given by the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Foundation, has allowed the Niagara Falls Public Library, in partnership with the Niagara Falls Heritage Area and History Associates (Washington) to undertake a phase of digitization of the Local History collection. All work is to be completed by August 31, 2024
- Oversee the Library's Local History Collection by providing care and preservation, cataloging, and documenting all activity in conjunction with Niagara Falls Public Library staff’s efforts.
- Produce and keep records of all related paperwork such as deeds of gift, accession records, deaccession records, loan agreements, certificates of insurance, rights for reproduction, documentation of installations, condition reports, etc.
- Oversee the incoming and outgoing of all collection shipments.
- Track and update the locations of all objects and collections through a digitization process.
- Bachelor’s degree in Archives, History, Museum Studies, or related degree required.
- Master's degree in Library Science, Archives, or Museum Studies preferred.
- One to two years of related experience in archives, museum registration, or collections management.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with ArchivesSpace, Past Perfect, another collections management system (CMS)
- Experience handling historic documents and objects in a manner relating to preservation.
- Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
- Strong proofreading skills and communication skills.
- Ability to be detail-oriented and work independently.
- Contract basis, $30/hr, paid biweekly
- Work schedule Monday through Friday, 20 hours per week minimum, some weeks of the project could be more and will be agreed upon mutually.
- Position to be filled December 2, 2023, until end of the project, August 31, 2024 (43 weeks approx)
To apply, please send a cover letter and C.V. via email to email@example.com with the subject line “Contract Archivist”. Or, snail mail to Mrs. Sarah Potwin, Executive Library Director, Niagara Falls Public Library, 1425 Main Street, Niagara Falls, NY 14305. The first consideration of applications will begin November 13, 2023